Friday, April 15, 2016

IF YOU WANN BE HAPPY

Happiness comes from within. Happiness is a choice. No one can make you happy. We've all heard these statements. I received an email outlining the nine things you need to give up if you want to be truly happy.  Nine keys to happiness.

It's about changing your behavior. I am told all the time that I need change my behavior. Stop complaining. Don't be resistant to change. Don't limit your beliefs. Give up the need to be right all the time. Give up the need to impress others. Stop seeking others approval and let go of the past. I don't remember the rest, but you get the idea. 

Let go of all negativity in your life. I  am guilty of almost every statement that was on the list. The sender thought it would a good blog post. I didn't how to write a  post without again admitting how I'd screwed up. I did enough of that in my previous post.It left me emotionally drained. I questioned whether I should continue to blog.

.I have said before that I am glass half empty kind of person. It has been extremely difficult for me to see anything positive in my current situation. I could probably go back further and say since the passing of my mother. At least then, I was in my house with Lucie. Being in familiar surroundings made dealing with her death much easier. 

When I ask two residents I know how they are doing, one replies, "I'm here." The other resident replies, "Another day in paradise." No one who is young wants to be here. We joke about planning our escape all the time. We are just resigned to the reality that we are in a facility. No one is happy about being here.

What makes the day better is when people visit. We know we haven't been forgotten. Going out whenever possible is important. The other day, I had lunch, at the mall, with a friend. After lunch we went to a bookstore. Two simple things that meant the world to me. I felt like my old self. I was happier than I have been in a long time. 

I know when life gives you lemons you need to lemonade out of them. I haven't found a way to do that in this situation. I am trying. The only positive thing is I am not a ward of the state.

I am a very flawed human being. People don't believe me, but I am trying to change. It is one step forward and ten steps back because I fail at it all the time. I am, as we all are, a work in progress.

Being positive may be the key to happiness, but a trip to the mall doesn't hurt either.