Sunday, September 18, 2016

A GOOD NURSE



What qualities make a good muse or CNA? I always thought nurses were supposed to kind, caring and compassionate. And, do their best to make you comfortable. I was in the hospital in 2014. The staff did there best accommodate my needs. They didn't care how times I put my light on. I wish the same could be said about the nursing staff at this facility, or to be more accurate, on my floor. .

Friday night,a resident with Alzheimer's,blocked the path to my room. When I tried to pass the resident become agitated. They bumped my chair with theirs. A nurse was down at the end of the hall. I called for help. The nurse saw me, but did nothing.  The resident still refused to allow me to pass. They kept saying they had to get to their mother. 

I continued to call for help. Finally, the nurse came.  They took the resident back to their room.  I have one question.. I know the nurse saw me trapped in the hall, by the resident,. They heard me calling for help, Why didn't they come right away?

This nurse has told me that I get on their nerves. I guess it is because I  report things. I advocate for myself. Last week, the nurse told a CNA who left me in the bathroom, that I would tell. I do report incidents.  They have to be something major. I don't report every little thing. A month or two ago, when the nurse was putting me on the bedpan, I told them I wasn't on it well. They responded, "Jesus Christ, what do you want me to do?" I reported this to the administrator. The nurse came to me asking why I had reported them. They wondered what they had done.  I guess that's why this nurse thinks I report everything. The sad thing is I liked this nurse They are good at their profession. I wish they thought well of me too.

Saturday morning, a mentally challenged resident blocked my way into the dining room. They would not wait until I passed. I was trapped again. The resident began screaming at me. I called for help. There were severs in the dining room. No one came to help. The resident forced their way passed me. After breakfast, I told the weekend nurse what happened. , I said the resident screamed at me,and would not let me pass. Her screams caused me to jump. The nurse's response was the resident could not help it, maybe I shouldn't jump. I am unable to control my startle response.If my regular aide is here, they try to keep this resident away from me because this resident always ttys to prevent me from passing. After our conversation, the weekend nurse kept an eye on the resident too.

I don't sleep well. The bed is uncomfortable If I ask to be moved in bed too many times., the CNA's and nurse get annoyed. . One CNA told me, "We all know there is no satisfying you." My feelings were hurt. When I ask for help because my back and neck are hurting, I think they should move me until I find a comfortable position. That's what one nurse did a few months ago. I had a good night that night because the nurse took the time to help me.. I don't complain anymore, if I am uncomfortable. I do the best I can to get some sleep..

Last Thursday, my brother had to call twice to ask that I be taken to the bathroom. If my brother calls, things are done right away. If I ask, my light may be turned off without my needs being met for quite a while. Another problem is the stand up lifts don't always work because the batteries have not been charged. When that happens, the aides have go looking for a battery. That takes time too. This facility has needed new lifts for a while now. There are always problems with them, 

They used to tell me they had too many residents and not enough aides on the floor. Now, there are only nineteen of us in my section..  Nurses should be able to devote a little time to me. 
A social worker here, told me several months ago, my blogs are not always factual. I write my really here. The social worker is not here in the middle of the night when I have asked for help. I have been told to just go to sleep.

I didn't choose to be here, but at least for now, I am. I want to know that when I ask for help a nurse will not ignore or forget about me because they feel someone else's needs are more important than mine.

I apologize for the length of this post.  I didn't write it to cause any kind of trouble. I want to be treated with respect and dignity. I am thankful for the care and concern of my family.I could not make it here without them.. 


, .