Thursday, December 22, 2016

WE'RE ALL MISFITS

Did you ever stop to think about the lyrics of Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer?  I never did. I just sang along with the the catchy little tune. I never gave the words a second thought. When I watched the television adaptation, that premiered in 1964, I didn't think about the significance of  Santa stopping in the Land of Misfit Toys  I didn't think about him giving the toys to children so they could love them.  I was  a kid.  It was an animated Christmas special. Santa was in it. That was all that mattered. 

I did at little research on Wikipedia. That is when I realized what an important message the song and story have.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_the_Red-Nosed_Reindeer

Delivering toys would not have possible without Rudolph. It was his blinking red noise that guided Santa's sleigh through the fog that Christmas Eve. The same Rudolph the other reindeer laughed at, called names and refused to play with. The reindeer with the shiny red nose that blinked saved Christmas.

Donner trained him. Santa believed in him. Santa gave a purpose. Santa celebrated the fact that Rudolph was different.  Santa looked past his differences and focused on his abilities..

Just like those misfit toys we are flawed and imperfect. It is those flaws and imperfections that make us who we are. We don't always have to fit in. It is okay to stand out. Be proud of who you are.

Rudolph is a great story for children with disabilities. Santa believed in Rudolph. He saw his potential, not his limitations.

Anything is possible. Like Santa in Rudolph,  you just have believe. Isn't that what Christmas is all about?










.