Monday, January 14, 2013

SHE WAS ALWYS SMILING

I began volunteering at Paraquad.  One of my clients was in a nursing home.  My job was to visit them every week.  I didn't want to do it, I didn't know if  I could do it, given my past experience with nursing homes, but it was what I'd been assigned to do, so I really had no choice.

I entered the nursing home and I made my way to the elevator. I was overwhelmed by the stench of stale food. The elevators were next to the cafeteria. I  usually arrived shortly after breakfast.  I'd ride the elevator to my client's floor, come out by the nurse's station and see many residents sitting around a table, some sleeping, some awake but staring at nothing and some still alive, but from all outward appearances, looking like their souls had already left this world, but their physical bodies hadn't gotten the message yet.  There was also a strong odor of urine.  To say it was depressing is putting it mildly.

The conditions didn't seem to bother my client.   She was always smiling and happy to see me, full of questions about what was going on in my life.   While still relatively young to be in a facility, she handled her situation with grace and dignity.  And, yes, even though my client was in a facility, they still maintained a degree of independence.  Making her own decisions  I wonder if I could ever achieve the level of acceptance my client had If I found myself in a similar situation one day?  I wonder if anyone could? 

I tried to have myself removed from the case after that first visit.  I just couldn't imagine going to such a depressing place every week to visit someone who was approximately my age.  It hit too close to home.  I saw myself in my client and it scared me.


I visited weekly for nine months.  We found we had many things in common.  I am glad I was given a client in a nursing home. I saw someone in a truly horrible environment who was able to smile, take an interest in others. She still finds joy in life, 

No matter how bad a situation is There is something positive in it too.  We just have to open our hearts and minds to find it.











No comments:

Post a Comment