Sunday, July 14, 2013

THE BEAT GOES ON

Cher
. Whether you love her or hate her, hearing her name probably brings back a memory.  It may be a song you heard or you may remember those fabulous Bob Mackie gowns she wore on her variety shows.  That’s where I first saw her.  I watched the Sonny and Cher show every week. Whatever it may be, I know everyone has a memory.

I have been a Cher fan for more than half of my life.  I have some good memories.  Like the time I was out with my physical therapist in high school.  We had been to a record store where they had a life-size cardboard cutout of Cher. I thought it was the coolest thing I’d ever seen.  However, the store owner wouldn’t part with it.  We were in her car, ready to leave when my therapist said she’d be back in a minute.  A few minutes later she came out of the store carrying the cardboard cutout of Cher. I never knew what she said to get the man in the store to give it to her.  After getting it home we noticed it had been promised to someone else. She must have told the man a really good story.   The cutout stood in my room for years.  It was a great conversation piece.  Sonny and Cher were doing a concert here and it was announced on the news when their plane would be arriving.  My mom and I hurried to the airport in hopes of seeing them arrive.  We made it all the way to the gate but were told we couldn’t stay to watch their plane come in.   We raced to the hotel where they were supposed to be staying, but we were told they weren’t staying there.  Probably the best memory I have is going to her concerts with my mom.  I know she liked Cher, but I think she liked seeing me have a good time even more.

Cher’s music has helped me through some difficult periods in my life.  The last time I had surgery, a psychologist told me to play her music to help ease my fear and stress.  Cher’s music was also paying while I wrote the remarks that were read at my m mom’s funeral.

My favorite Cher quote is: If you really want something you can figure out a way to make it happen.

I aspire to be like Cher.  No, I don’t want to sing or act.  Cher is a strong person who speaks her mind and doesn’t take the word "No" for an answer.  She never gives up.  






No comments:

Post a Comment