Wednesday, May 3, 2017

ESCAPE TO AGUA AZUL

Living in a facility is not easy. I have heard it compared to living in a mental institution or a prison, There is so much noise in the dining room I cannot have a conversation with the person sitting across from me.  I

've witnessed an adult walking down the hall wearing nothing but a diaper I cannot sit outside in front of this facility without supervision/ I'd say that is an apt analogy

An escape. I had to find one. My answer came via Netflix.   I discovered telenovelas. A telenovela is a Latin American soap opera that is either produced in or televised form, Latin American countries.

Unlike American soap operas, telenovelas usually don't run for more than a year. That's the first thing that attracted me to them. I love American soap operas, but there are times when they seem to drag on forever without moving forward.  I knew the telenovela would reach a conclusion in a specific number of episodes.

I started watching Lo Que La Vida Me Robo.  The English translation is, The Life You Took From Me. Each night I  traveled to Agua Azul where beautiful Monserrat Mendoza is in love with Jose Luis. Montserrat's family is in financial trouble. Her mother forces her to marry Alejandro in order to solve their financial problems. Alejandro inherited his father's fortune.  He promises to pay all of the Mendoza family's debts as long as Monserrat becomes his wife.

I got caught up in the story. I didn't even mind reading the subtitles. This telenovela allowed me to travel to another country. I will never physically be able to travel again. I got to travel to Mexico every night.  I saw palm trees, blue skies, and a beach where the water was the bluest I'd ever seen. I was inspired to learn about another country and its culture.  I've learned a little Spanish online. I can recognize many words, but my pronunciation needs a lot of practice.  My ability to make typos is not limited to the English language anymore. I make them in Spanish now too.

I'd like to thank the cast and crew of Lo Que La Vida Me Robo, for the gift they gave me. They gave the opportunity to escape this facility.  It did not matter that my escape was only in my mind. I got lost in other people's problems and forgot about my own. I forgot I was in this facility.

I can't think of a better gift than that.








..

No comments:

Post a Comment