Saturday, May 12, 2018

MAKE HER PROUD

I wanted to write a birthday post because May 2nd marked my mom's 100th birthday. I could not think of anything to say that I had not already said. The day passed. I  spent most of the day in my room thinking about what my mom loved the most about her birthday. Two things. Coffee with Kahlua and free birthday desserts. Her birthday usually lasted until we'd patronized all her favorite restaurants. Unlike me, she did not mind restaurant staff singing Happy Birthday to her. She knew after they sang, she'd be given her dessert.

I started to think about writing a post for Mother's Day. Again, I did not know what to write. This photo was taken in 1976. I was nineteen years old. It depicts how we spent most summer afternoons. Swimming. I remember the hydraulic lift. I remember sitting in the sling. I remember my mom attaching the sling to the lift. Mom would raise the lift and position it over the water., I would dangle there until she got into the pool  "Mom, please hurry up. I could fall in,' I'd tell her. "Oh, you're fine. Give me a minute," she'd tell me. That was my mom.

When this photo was taken I had many hopes for my future. I wanted to be a medical social worker, get married and have a family. I wanted my mom to be proud of me. My life did not work out the way I had planned, but I know she was proud of what I accomplished when she was alive. I hope she is proud of the way I have handled things since her death. I failed a lot, cried a lot and even cursed a lot, but I made it. My mother was a strong person. Whatever strength I. have. I got from her.

Someone told me when I had to leave my house and move to a facility, that  I should say, 'Come on, Mom, it's time for us to go now." I did. I know that she came here with me because I feel her presence all the time.

July. 1st I will finally be moving into my new home. I  know my mom will come with. I hope I will continue making her proud as I begin my new life.

Happy Mother's Day Mom. Happy Mothers Day to all the moms. who read this post/. May your children continue making you proud. 




No comments:

Post a Comment