Saturday, July 2, 2022

LAND OF THE FREE?


I haven't felt like writing a post. I can't write a Fourth of July post about what a great country I live in.  There are cracks in its foundation. In my opinion, democracy is beginning to crumble.

A woman's constitutional right to control her body was overturned with the repeal of Roe v. Wade. The government now has control over a woman's uterus. (on a state-by-state basis. My state is red. I am ashamed.) I am not for or against it.  I am pro-choice. A woman's choice is between her and God. It should be no one else's business/

Setting this country back fifty years is the first crack in its foundation. What will be next? Any group that doesn't fit the norm?  And, why do nine justices get to determine what the norm is? 

What will be the fate of those of us with disabilities? When you receive government assistance the government reserves the right to have a say in almost everything you do.

The Ugly Laws were repealed in 1974.  
If these laws were ren instated my presence or the presence of any one of my disabled peeps won't offend anyone. Keep us locked away or warehouse us in institutions. We are a burden on society anyway. What's the difference?
This attitude possibly becoming the nom is what scares me the most.
 
Women, you must keep fighting for your reproductive rights. LGBTQ+  community, keep fighting to be seen by everyone as the unique and beautiful people you are. No one has the right to judge how you live your life.

And to my disabled peeps. We've been fighting to be seen, heard, and equal our whole lives. We can't give up now.

I used to be proud of this country. I still love the principles it was founded on. I hope they are not disappearing.

Our freedom is in jeopardy.  I hope the tide turns before it is too late.

“Women belong in all places where decisions are being made." Ruth Bader Ginsburg



No comments:

Post a Comment