Tuesday, May 21, 2013

MAKING THE MOST OF EVERY DAY


My Maltese, Lucie, is almost fourteen years old and her heart is failing.  Lucie means the world to me. I would do just about anything for her.

Lucie has had a cough for several weeks.   A visit to the vet revealed that she has congestive heart failure.  Lucie is now on two different medications.  She seems to be doing well.  She doesn't cough much anymore and her breathing is better. She is back to her old self, barking, begging for food, and taking naps.  She even runs once in a while.

I don't know how long Lucie will be with me. It could be weeks, months, or (if I'm lucky) a year or two.  I just know that I will be lost without her.  We have been through a lot together.  I think I have learned to appreciate her more in the past week.  I guess I took her for granted.  The same way we sometimes take the important people in our lives for granted. 

My mom was on hospice for the last six months of her life.  I did my best to see that she got the best care. I tried to keep things as normal as possible.  We didn't talk much about dying.  We focused on her life and living. I wanted my mom to still find joy and happiness in her life. Despite what her reality was, I tried to give her hope.

I am doing the same now with Lucie.  I don't think about her dying.  I see that she gets what she needs and is happy.  My mom was worried about two things: what would happen to me and what would happen to Lucie.  I promised her I would keep Lucie with me. 

Lucie gave my mom and me so much love. She continues to give me love and affection daily. I  have said before she's not just a dog, she's part of my family.  For however long we are together, I  will make the most of every day.












  












































No comments:

Post a Comment