Monday, November 18, 2013

BLESSINGS

Yesterday afternoon, as I listened to the wind howl and the rain come down in sheets against my windows, I was thankful for the phone call I received from my brother that morning, alerting me to a possible tornado threat. When  I had checked the weather earlier, the threat of a tornado wasn't mentioned. I was thankful that my caregiver was able to stay with me throughout the storm. I was thankful that my neighbor phoned to check on me. As disabled people, we like to say that we live independently. The truth is, the reason we are able to live independently, is because of the support system we have in caregivers, our family and friends. Without, a good support system, our living situations would be completely different. 

I'm thankful that the only damage I had was tree limbs down. I saw the devastation caused by storms that plowed through parts of the Midwest. I can't imagine what it's like to lose everything in a matter of seconds. One minute you have a home, the next minute you don't. The only positive thing about the situation is that you are alive. I pray I never experience that kind of loss. My heart goes out to everyone affected.

I don't remember many storms like the one we experienced yesterday. The rain passed quickly. The strong wind gusts lifted up the metal awnings on my house.  They came down with a bang. We sat listening to tree limbs snap and fall to the ground. We wondered how long it would last. The winds finally calmed and it turned out to be a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for all the people who make it possible for me to live independently. I'm thankful that I have a home and that I am safe. It might be silly to write this, but I think sometimes we need to be reminded just how fortunate we are.  That's what the storm taught me. To appreciate and be thankful for what I have. It showed me just how truly blessed I am.






















No comments:

Post a Comment