Sunday, November 10, 2013

FIND YOUR PASSION

I haven't posted a blog in quite a while. That doesn't mean I haven't been writing. I have been making revisions to another children's story that I hope to publish next year, as well as putting in a few more hours volunteering at the library.  I submitted an editorial to The St. Louis Post Dispatch on the Cost of Living Adjustment for 2014, 

When it was suggested to me that I give my thoughts on this subject my first thought was that I was not qualified. All I knew was that the COLA would below, which meant retirees, and people with disabilities would receive less money in the coming year. How could I write 700 words on a topic I knew so little about?

I went to the reference section of the library. I got the information, I read.  I learned about the Cost of Living Adjustment, Consumer Price Index, and inflation. I began writing my article. I have bouts of depression at times. I noticed as I was writing my article, I began to feel energized. I had a purpose which was to write an insightful article. I hope my article makes the paper. If it doesn't, I am still happy I had the opportunity to write it.  I wrote about something well out of my comfort zone and I learned a lot in the process. 

Writing gives me a purpose. Sometimes, it’s the reason I get up in the morning. I'm working with an editor on my second children's book. I'm always excited to see their suggestions on how my book can be improved. 

I may get a little obsessed with my writing. That's because it is so important to me. I want what I write to be worthwhile. I hope that people who read what I write will learn something they didn't know before.

It's important for everyone to have something in their lives they are passionate about. It just makes you feel better. It's something to get excited about. It's something to share with others. I have met many wonderful people because of my book and blog. It's fun meeting others with whom you share a common interest.

I love writing. I love books. These are my passions. What are yours?  


No comments:

Post a Comment