Monday, June 30, 2014

INDEPENDENCE IS A STATE OF MIND



This week I begin the process of looking into skilled nursing facilities. I am grateful for my family's help to find the right place. I don't want to go on government assistance and end up in a Medicaid bed in a facility.


What scares me the most, other than leaving the only home I have ever known,, is losing my independence not being able to get out and do the things I enjoy doing. Losing the ability to make decisions.

I am dependent on others for assistance with almost every aspect of daily living. Yet, I think of myself as an independent person. 

I was talking to a friend/ I told her that I fear losing my independence if I move into a facility. My friend told me that independence is a state of mind. It's how you conduct yourself and how self-assured you are. .If you act in a way that lets people around you know you deserve to be treated with respect and dignity, you will be.

Independence should not be measured in terms of how much assistance someone needs, but, in how they think, and their ability to make well-thought-out decisions.

I want to blog more. I want to help others through my writing. I would like to still contribute to the community by volunteering again. 

I am still the same person,. The only thing that's changing is my address. 








No comments:

Post a Comment