Wednesday, November 22, 2017

I AM GRATEFUL

My family was unable to attend the facility's Thanksgiving dinner this year. I was not sure if I wanted to go.  I hate going to an event alone.I weighed the pros and cons.

If I attended the dinner I would be served faster. Getting a room tray takes forever. I decided to go.  I sat with a woman who lives on my floor. She was alone too. We talked. We enjoyed the delicious food. Both of us were grateful to be together.

I have been approved for placement in community-based housing. The difficult part is behind me. It will take a few months, but eventually, I  will leave here. A meeting will take place later this month to begin my transition process.  I am grateful for a second chance.  I know that a better life is waiting for me.  On Thanksgiving Day 2018,  I will give thanks for my new home

I am grateful to have the opportunity to spend this Thanksgiving with my family. It has been hard for me to be with my family on holidays since my mom and Lucie died. I always felt there was something missing.I would get emotional. I would get lost in memories. I have wonderful memories of my mom at Thanksgiving. I cherish them.

The memory that stands out the most in my mind is my mom's last Thanksgiving. Mom always made a carrot casserole and a spinach casserole as her contribution to Thanksgiving dinner. Her last Thanksgiving she was unable to make the casseroles. Our caregiver had to make them. Mom was never one to give up. I can still see her sitting in her wheelchair instructing our caregiver on how to prepare the dishes. I am grateful for her example.  My sister-in-law is carrying on the casserole tradition. She does a great job.

This Thanksgiving is a new beginning for me.  I am filled with hope. I  will not become lost in the past.  I  am looking toward the future. I am ready to make some new memories.

Be grateful. Make memories. Happy Thanksgiving.














No comments:

Post a Comment