Tuesday, October 31, 2017

THE GHOSTS OF HALLOWEEN'S PAST

Halloween is probably my least favorite day. Except for the candy of course. ( I love candy corn.) With my sensitive startle response, I am sure that you can guess the reason why.
It wasn't all bad. I  have some good Halloween memories too.

 One of my earliest Halloween memories is of my brother holding me in a standing position so my mom could take a picture of me in my clown costume. (What was my mom thinking? I  was afraid of clowns.)/ I was three or four years old. I 

remember looking at the grainy color photo. I was smiling. I was happy. I was ready to go get some candy!

In the sixties, my parents did not have to worry about having my treats X-rayed fearing they may have been tampered with. People gave me apples and oranges along with candy.

My grandparents lived next door to us. They gave me fruit, candy, and fifty cents. I'd hit the jackpot! I never got a treat until I told a joke or a riddle. I went trick-or-treating until I was ten years old. When I was eleven I was in the hospital on Halloween. By the time I was twelve it was too difficult to get my wheelchair up and down steps.

My dime store costume was hot. It was hard to breathe with that plastic character mask covering my face. The rubber band around my head held my mask in place. It would hurt after a while, but it was worth it. I don't remember any particular costume. I am sure I was Cinderella one year because I loved Cinderella.

My school had a Halloween parade  We'd march around the building in our costumes. We'd end up in the auditorium for a Halloween program. When I was in high school, my mom began volunteering at my school. When you are fifteen or sixteen it is bad enough that your mom works at your school, but it's ten times worse when you see your mother marching in the Halloween parade dressed as a Martian. Complete with a green face and silver antennae!. I was mortified. I stayed in my classroom the entire time.

If you knew my mom you know that she would never dress up as a Martian or anything else, of her own volition. How the principal and secretary got her to agree to it, I never knew. I know the courage it took for my mom to dress up. Way to go Mom!.

I don't have any scary or exciting memories. Well, there was that time at summer camp when they celebrated Halloween in July. I felt an eyeball in the haunted house. At least that's what they told me it was. I was blindfolded. I found out the slimy squishy eyeball was really a grape in oatmeal.  That's just gross!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!





No comments:

Post a Comment