Saturday, October 7, 2017

X MARKS THE SPOT

I have never been able to write my name very well. It took me forever to learn how to print. I  taught myself to write my name so that I could sign things for myself. I did not want anyone signing documents on my behalf. If anyone did sign a document for me, it was with my permission. They signed my name and wrote their initials after the signature to indicate that they had signed for me. It takes a few minutes for me to sign my name. If there is a limited amount of time it's faster to have someone sign for me.

I used to print and write my name all the time. In recent years, typing everything on my laptop, I have not had the opportunity to sign my name very much. I am not sure if it is due to my age or a lack of practice, but my ability to sign my name has gotten worse. It is difficult for me to put enough pressure on the pen in order to write. Felt tip pens and markers are easier,.but they are not always available.

.My power chair has finally been repaired. It looks like new. It took about an hour, When the repairman was finished there was a form to be signed confirming that he had done the repairs. Without asking me,, my aide immediately assumed that I couldn't sign the form myself. She told the repairman to have the nurse sign for me. I was angry.

"How can you sign your name when you need help with everything else?" was her question. She assumed that I was unable to sign because I need assistance with my personal care. She did not even ask.

I signed the form. It doesn't matter if my signature did not look the best. I signed the form myself. That's all that matters/ If I were only able to write an X,  it would be my.X. No one else's.

By not asking if I could sign the form my aide took control of the situation away from me. Things.happen here that are out my control. Please allow me to have as much control as I can. Never make decisions for me.

Never assume. Try to put yourself in my place.I am sure that you want to have control of your life. You wouldn't want anyone to make decisions for you.

The issue is not whether or not I can sign my name. It is about respect. It is about allowing me to be as independent as I can. It's about allowing me to be my own person.







.

No comments:

Post a Comment