Friday, October 13, 2017

HARVEY


When I moved to this facility I was a mess. Not only was I  forced to leave my home, I left my Maltese, Lucie, too.  She had congestive heart failure.My neighbor took care of her for me. I missed Lucie so much. Every time a small dog visited the facility I would want to pet the dog, but then something about the dog would remind me of Lucie and. I would burst into tears.

 I met Harvey and his dog mom, Jane,.through the gentleman who lived across the hall from me. Randy knew that I loved dogs. He suggested that Jane bring Harvey to visit me.It did not take long for Harvey and me to have a regular date every Monday. Harvey's visits were the only thing that I  looked forward to here.

Harvey was a Shih Tzu. He was all black fur. with big dark eyes.  I must admit Harvey was somewhat aloof when we met  He let me pet him while Jane held him. Sometimes he'd sit on my lap. Those first few months It was difficult to get him to make eye contact with me when I talked to him. Harvey wasn't big on conversation. He loved coming here. He wanted to his job. His job was to bring joy and comfort to all of the residents Harvey did his job extremely well. Everyone here loved him.

Harvey warmed up to me putting his paw on my arm. Then he gave that famous kiss on the nose that I blogged about. That was especially meaningful to me because Lucie used to give me nose kisses too.

Jane and I would talk while Harvey settled down and took a nap on my lap or put his chin on the armrest of my chair. Every visit, Harvey made me feel as like I had a dog again. I didn't miss Lucie quite as much

Life got in the way. Jane and Harvey stopped coming. Jane and I had become friends on Facebook I kept up with Harvey through Jane's   posts.  I'd send little messages to Harvey via Jane's Facebook page. Jane told me that when she said my name Harvey would start barking.

Harvey passed away two days ago. I want to thank Jane for sharing Harvey with me  That was the best gift she could have given to me.

When Jane met Harvey he was living in a horse stall. He went to her. He never left her side. Harvey chose Jane to be his family. He couldn't have chosen a better person.

I'll Miss Harvey. He was one of a kind.

Rest in Peace Harvey. I love you. If you see Lucie, say Hi. She acts like a doggie diva, but she's really a sweetheart.








No comments:

Post a Comment