Sunday, October 22, 2017

WHERE'S THE SOUP?

I love soup! My mom made split pea soup. It was so thick that you could almost eat it with a fork. She spent the day after Thanksgiving making turkey soup. Mom didn't make canned tomato soup with water she made it with milk. 

I thought this fantastic concoction was something that my mom had created. I found out that other people made tomato soup this way too.

The only soup I won't eat is canned chicken noodles. soup. Growing up, when I had an upset stomach, mom would heat up a can of chicken noodle soup for me. I would eat the soup and drink white soda with it. I am not a fan of white soda either. Just thinking about a can of chicken soup and white soda brings to mind bad memories. One morning I was accidentally served Sprite for breakfast instead of water.   Yuck! I  will save that story for a future blog post

I  had difficulty picking up a soup bowl.  Mom solved my problem. She bought a soup cup for me. I  could grasp the cup's handle and easily finish my soup.

I enjoy the soup here. Southwestern Tortilla and Clam Chowder are my favorites. I always ask for my soup in a cup. A coffee cup with a handle on it makes it easy to finish my soup. Several residents ask for their soup in a coffee cup too.

There are new coffee cups and bowls in the dining room now. There are even water carafes on every table. There are new soup cups too. That is if you can call them soup cups. They are white, matching the new coffee cups and bowls perfectly. There is, however, one problem. They are too small. The new soup cups remind me of dining in a Chinese restaurant. You know, the small, dainty cups they serve your egg-drop soup in?  

There is nothing wrong with serving soup in small cups.  However, there is a time and a place for everything. When I have soup, I want a  real mug with soup in it.  With the new soup cups, I  am finished with four spoonfuls. The first time I saw them I  just looked at them for a second. Surely, there must be some mistake. I wanted to ask "Where's the soup?' I didn't. I  wanted to. The kitchen has some of the old black coffee mugs left. (What a relief!!)   I asked for soup in black. mug.

I  appreciate the changes the new dietary manager is making. We have had new entrees like pasta con broccoli and shrimp fettucini. I know that change is good. I  have one request. Please don't get rid of the black coffee mugs. I don't want to have to start asking '"Where's the soup?"












No comments:

Post a Comment