Sunday, March 18, 2018

A PICTURE IS WORTH 1,000 WORDS

This illustration was done by artist Mitchell Toy of Melbourne Australia. Columnist Rita Panahi shared it on her Facebook page. This illustration has the disabled community talking.

They say the illustration is ableist. The term ableist refers to an individual who discriminates against someone with a disability in favor of someone who is able-bodied.

Stephen Hawking was a physicist, a lecturer, and an author. He explored black holes and other mysteries of the universe. He was a husband and father. Stephen Hawking focused on his work, not his disability.

This illustration is a tribute to Stephen Hawking, a great visionary and scientist.

 Some people think that the message of this illustration is that when we die and we are free of our mobility devices,  then and only then, will we be whole and equal to people in the non-disabled community. I do not view this illustration that way. In my opinion, this illustration has a very positive message

I have had to depend on other people my entire life. I have used a power chair since I was sixteen years old. I appreciate the people who care for me.  I would not have any life without my power chair and caregivers. As much as I appreciate the people and technology that allow me to function depending on them can be a pain,  I wait a lot for my needs to be met. Outings have to be scheduled days in advance. I would rather be able to depend on myself.  I'd love to be spontaneous.

I am not less of a person because I have a disability. Neither was Stephen Hawking. 

The illustration does not diminish in any way his brilliant discoveries and accomplishments. All it means is now that he has left this Earth Stephen Hawking can walk and speak without the assistance of a power chair, a computerized voice, or, a caregiver. He is free to go and do whatever chooses. He is on his own again. I believe that is what Mitchell Toy was trying to convey in his illustration. I do not believe he meant to detract from Stephen Hawing's great accomplishments or discriminate against anyone.

Sometimes a picture is just a picture

Rest in Peace, Mr. Hawing, Your legacy lives on.


.






No comments:

Post a Comment