Wednesday, June 6, 2018

IF I WAS AN OMBUDSMAN

What happens here should not bother me. I am leaving. Why should I care?  I don't know. That's just how I am. I witnessed a lack of respect shown by a nurse to a resident. The nurse called the resident a name. The name is not the issue. The fact that they said it, then laughed. is/ It made me wonder what names the staff has called me. I reported the nurse

A few hours later I witnessed a male resident disrespect a med tech. I could not believe it. Without thinking I told him not to talk her that way. I could not stand the way he'd talked to her. He looked at her like she was a bug he needed to squash. I reported the resident. 

I have not always been a model resident. I have gotten angry more times than care to remember since I have been here. I have never called anyone a name, cursed at them or told them to shut up. I have reported staff. Two things that make me angry are, not being listened to by my aides because they are too busy talking each other. Or, having an accident because no one came to answer my light. I get angry when I have to sit in my own waste.  The accidents could have been prevented if my nurse had assisted me. Nurses prioritize here. I am a low priority. 

I advocate for myself. If I didn't I would be forgotten. The people in the incidents I described behaved the way the did just because they could. I guess it gave them a feeling of superiority.

If I were this facility's ombudsman the top three changes  I would advocate for would be the following:

The facility offers sensitivity training classes for both the staff and the residents. I have been advocating for this to happen since I moved here. No one has ever taken me seriously. These classes would benefit everyone.

The lifts used in this facility are in very poor condition. Either the batteries have not been charged or the charger is not working properly. There have been times when just one battery was charged. That one battery had to be used for all of the lifts on my hall. The lift pads may be dirty and torn. The lift pad might be too big. Recently, the lift I was using did not roll straight. It went sideways. It was scary for both me and my aide. Better equipment is desperately needed.

The tables in the dining room are too small for four people, to sit at comfortably. This is especially true if those sitting at the table are in wheelchairs. It is difficult to get close enough to the table.  Bigger tables would make residents more comfortable.

I am not this facility's ombudsman. I am just a resident, The administration of this facility may read this post and have millions of reasons why my suggestions are not feasible. .The administrator does know what it is like to live here. I do.

I am nervous. when I think about leaving, but after what I saw today, I know I made the right decision. I can't handle disrespect like that.  I hope the changes I mentioned will be considered in the future.


  




No comments:

Post a Comment