Sunday, July 1, 2018

BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT

Six days. That's all the time that I had left here. July 1st was just around the corner. 

My social worker was going to begin packing up some of my things and take them to my new address. Friends and family were going to move the rest of my things on the First of July. 

I had been asked if I was temporarily comfortable using a Hoyer Lift until the Sara Lift I had been approved for arrived. Hoyer Lifts freak me out. Since it would only be temporary I agreed. I had confidence in the aides at the house. They were kind and caring.  I believed they would do whatever was necessary to alleviate my fear. I  had been asked. if I wanted to move in a few days earlier. I declined. There were a few events I wanted to be around here for. I  had a lot of goodbyes to say. I'd already started. 

Then I got the email. Due to a computer upgrade my transition file could not be located. Recovering my file was doubtful. If my file was not found my case manager would have to rewrite and resubmit my transition plan. My July 1st exit date probably would not happen.  My case manager could not give me a new exit date. I reread the email several times. I was stunned. How could this be happening? Didn't they back up important documents at my case manager's office?  Wasn't there a hard copy of my plan somewhere>

I am not proud of my behavior the night I received the email.  It was not pretty. With no new exit date I envisioned myself having to spend another holiday season here.  

I spent the following day trying to process the fact that my file was missing and that I no longer had an exit date. Processing meant I treated myself to more than one dessert. I watched movies most of the day.

I decided that waiting was okay. I was informed the longest I would have to stay here was a month. That would give my case manager time to get my Sara Lift into the house and rewrite my plan. 

Two days later my plan was located. I received a copy only to discover that my plan contained incorrect information. I wanted to review the plan with someone. I wanted the errors corrected. I was given a consent form that everyone involved with my plan was required to sign. If I signed the form I could move on  July 1st. Due to the errors in my plan, I refused to sign the form. My new exit date is August 1st. I am comfortable with that date. My case manager and  I are meeting in a week or so to review my plan and make the necessary changes. I have been assured that my lift will be in the house by August 1st.

It has been an emotional roller coaster. I was given earlier dates to move into the house. Then, I wasn't moving because my plan could not be located. When my plan was located. I was moving.on July 1st again. I asked to be sick with the August 1st exit date. The final date.

I want to thank Kristine, my social worker for working so hard on my behalf. Kristine took care of all the phone calls and emails to keep my stress level down. She has been my advocate during this transition process, making sure my needs were going to be met. Her support has been invaluable.  I want to thank the staff at Creative Concepts for understanding my needs and concerns. I want to thank my case manager for agreeing to meet with me so that my plan can be finalized. I want to thank my family and friends for offering to move my things. I know how busy you are. I appreciate your help more than you know.

There was nothing I could do when my file could not be located. All I could do was have faith,  keep calm, and carry on.













No comments:

Post a Comment