Saturday, August 15, 2015

IT KEEPS ME CONNECTED

Believe it or not, there are still some people in the world not on Social Media. These people don't know the joy of seeing the number of notifications or friend requests they have on Facebook, the number of new followers they have on Twitter or who has re-pinned one of their pins on Pinterest. How do they survive?

A facility is a community unto itself. You don't have to go out for anything. All of your basic needs are met. Many residents are unable to go out. I know how fortunate I am because I can go volunteer several times a week. On the days when I don't go out, I am grateful to Social Media, it allows me to stay connected to my friends and the world outside of this facility.


I cannot imagine my life without my laptop or Kindle. I purchased my first laptop because I was having surgery and I was going to be at home for six weeks. Until that time I never wanted one at home because I worked with computers all day teaching classes.


I have met many wonderful people and made some great friends through Facebook and Twitter. I became friends with one of the producers of Listen To Your Mother through Facebook.  Had it not been for Twitter, I would not have met Cher's BFF, Paulette You all know how much both of these experiences meant to me. Facebook also enabled me to reconnect with old friends.


You can share ideas, photos, or get suggestions on the next great book to read. There are all kinds of groups to join on Facebook. You can connect with others who share your interests. 


Social Media helps keep me connected to my old life. When I am on it I forget I am in a facility for a while. On Social Media, my disability is not important. I am just a person posting, tweeting or pinning like everyone else   That's reason enough for me to stay connected. 



 .







No comments:

Post a Comment