Saturday, August 1, 2015

THE DAY I MET LUKE SPENCER


On July 27, 2015, Luke Spencer said goodbye to Port Charles. Anthony Geary, the actor who portrayed him for over thirty years, retired from General Hospital. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to meet him in the eighties while in California. For my readers who don't watch soaps, this post will probably bore you. But I wanted to write it because soaps have given me the opportunity to meet some amazing people. Anthony Geary was one of them.  

I had finished graduate school and was trying to find a job. I was sending out resumes and making phone calls every day. I would work in the morning. In the afternoon I would take a break to watch General Hospital.  I'd started watching one summer when a friend told me how cool Luke was. I watched as Luke saved Port Charles from being frozen by evil Mikkos Cassidine. I watched as Luke married Laura in one of the most romantic ceremonies I had ever seen. Yes, Luke was definitely cool. But then, Laura disappeared and was presumed dead. What would Luke do without her?


Emma Samms was cast to play Holly Sutton,. Holly was a beautiful con artist with a heart of gold. When Luke met Holly I knew there would be a romance between them. 


I decided to write to Emma a letter. I was sure I wouldn't receive an answer, but it was fun writing it anyway. Several months later, I got a note from Emma's sister, Louise. She was Emma's secretary and answered her fan mail. Louse and I began corresponding. When Louise learned that we were coming to California,.Louise and Emma invited me to the studio for lunch. 


The big day finally arrived. Louise and Emma were so kind to me. I felt as though I had always known them. We got to watch the blocking.  This is when the actors learn where to stand during a scene. Then it was time for lunch. I kept asking where Tony Geary was. They told me he stayed in his dressing room during lunch, but that Tristan Rogers, (Robert Scorpio) would be happy to join us. "No, I want to meet Tony Geary, " I told them. I am embarrassed by how rude I was.


After lunch, we watched a dress rehearsal. I saw Tony from a distance. Louse said she didn't know him that well, but she asked him to come over and meet me. When he said hello, nothing came out of my mouth. I think he asked if I watched the show. I hope I nodded yes, but I can't be sure because I was just staring at him with my mouth open. Not one of my finest moments, but at least I can laugh about it now. He signed  a card, "Love From Luke of Port Charles."  I was in Heaven.


Thank you, Emma and Louise, for giving me memories that I still think about over thirty years later. General Hospital in the eighties was the best. I wish Anthony Geary well. The show will not be the same without him.














No comments:

Post a Comment