Sunday, December 13, 2015

HOLIDAY BLESSINGS

I am a glass half empty kind of person. It has been difficult for me to see the positive side of my circumstances since moving to a facility. I have lost so much. My life is totally changed. I didn't know if I could write a holiday blog because I didn't know what my message would be. No one wants to read a depressing blog post.

I forced myself to start looking at the positive things in my life. I have a private room with a balcony and a large closet. Many residents have to share a room with little personal space. .I know how lucky I am to have my own room.

Since Thanksgiving, several things have happened that made me stop and reflect on how blessed I am.  

I turned my blog post on Donald Trump into a letter to the editor and my letter was published in the St. Louis Post Dispatch. I wouldn't have considered doing this had it not been for a friend who thought that my blog post was good enough and deserving enough to be submitted for consideration. I am blessed that my friend believed in me.

I miss Christmas at home. I miss my tree with my Suzy's Zoo Village under it. Several weeks ago my brother put up a tree in my room. He also brought a box of family Christmas decorations with him. It's a new tree, but it is adorned with ornaments and decorations from home. I look at the tree and smile. I smile because I see the wooden ornaments my mother painted hanging on it. But, I also smile because my brother took the time to put up a tree and decorate it with things from home.  It meant a lot to me.

I am blessed because I have not been forgotten by my friends since moving here. I know they have families and lead busy lives, but they still manage to find the time to visit. I hope they know how much I appreciate their visits.  Their visits allow me to forget where I am for a while. And, they always make laugh. And, laughter is very important. Some. residents rarely have visitors. I am blessed to have frequent visitors.

So, maybe m glass is not half empty after all. I have a family who loves and supports me. I have friends who make to for me even though they are busy.  Maybe the glass is not even half full. Maybe the glass is filled to the top ready to overflow.









No comments:

Post a Comment