Tuesday, March 29, 2016

VIOLET

There is a lady in housekeeping named Violet. She's from the Philippines. She doesn't speak English very well. She doesn't always understand me. She tries very hard to do what I ask. She has a good heart.

I had some chocolate truffles. I offered Violet one. She was so appreciative. The other day I got a sandwich for lunch. I decided not to eat it. I saved it for Violet. I knew she needed it more than I did She is alone in this country. Violet works hard. I knew she would appreciate the sandwich. She did. She told me she loved me. She said when she went back to her country that she would always remember me.

I cannot imagine coming to a new country. I cannot imagine being all alone in that country. That takes tremendous strength and courage.  Strength and courage I know I do not have.

We are not really supposed to give things to the staff. I don't want to cause any trouble for Violet. But, if you can help someone by doing even the simplest thing, like saving a sandwich for them, I think it is okay to break the rules once in a while.

I realize how lucky I am. The experience made me appreciate my family more. I am grateful for what I have. Whatever I want or need my family gets for me. Many people are not as fortunate. 

I will always remember you too Violet.



No comments:

Post a Comment