Saturday, April 2, 2016

IT'S CLASSIC

I am a nerd. Why? because  I don't watch much TV.   Watching the news is depressing. I do not enjoy waking up to reports of someone being murdered overnight or hearing about bombs exploding around the globe killing innocent people who were just going about their daily lives. The presidential candidates? I won't even go there. Network TV shows don't interest me either.

I like classic television. Watching the television shows I grew up with makes me feel better when I am stressed. Watching classic television is like visiting old friends.

I have slept with the television every night since I have been here. If I wake up and hear Barney Miller, Newhart, or Johnny Carson, I know I am not alone. Their familiar voices bring me comfort.

I think many of these shows are still relevant today. Take my favorite show, One Day at a Time, for example. Ann Romano was divorced raising her two daughters on her own. She had to prove herself in the male-dominated world of advertising. Later in the series, Ann and Francine opened their own advertising agency.  Pretty impressive for two single women in the 1970s.

After a long work day, Ann came home and dealt with the issues that come with raising two teenage daughters. 

Her oldest daughter Julie constantly rebelled against everything. From running away with her boyfriend to refusing to go to college. Ann and Julie clashed regularly. Barbara had her moments too. The girls had a party when Ann was out-of-town. Barbara had too much to drink. She suffered the consequences.  

My favorite episode centered around the building superintendent Dwayne Schneider.  Schneider was reluctant to have a young man who was mentally challenged work with him.  He did not think the young man would be able to handle the duties of the job. When there was a gas leak in the Romano apartment, Schneider's back is hurt.  He is unable to work. The young man proves that he can do the job. Under Schneider's direction, he shuts off the gas valve and saves the apartment. The episode showed what a person with a disability can do if they are given a chance. 

Classic TV shows may be a little corny, but they depict families talking at the dinner table. The children are looking at their phones. From I Love Lucy to The Twilight Zone. Classic TV has something for everyone. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.








No comments:

Post a Comment