Monday, November 21, 2016

I AM THANKFUL FOR...

This past weekend was one of the worst weekends I have had in the two years I have been here. I won't go into detail Unerstaffing is a major problem here. Aides don't show u[. This leaves the staff that is here scrambling to fill the void. Aides don't come in on time. Either way, this leaves just one aide on the floor. If you are not a resident in that aide's assigned area, most of the time, they will not help you.

Sundays are the worst.  A lot of aides are just here for a paycheck.  I know this is true because most of the time when two aides are helping me, they are talking to each other about personal issues or other residents. Sometimes I wonder if they are paying any attention to me at all. I am not bashing this facility, I know the staff is doing the best they can to meet everyone's needs.

Wait. Don't stop reading., There is a silver lining, I have an aide who is kind and caring. She does everything she can to make sure I get the best care. Her name is Tiffany. Tiffany works part-time. When she is here I am up on time and all my needs are met. She is considerate. She treats me like a person. Tiffany listens.

I tried to nominate Tiffany for a caregiver of the year award, That is an award given by Voyce to a caregiver that goes above and beyond their caregiving duties.  Unfortunately, I was too late. There is always next year.

Thursday is Thanksgiving. Tiffany is off. I am wondering who'll be here to help us. Will it be someone who is kind and listens like Tiffany? Or someone who is just doing their job for the money? I am praying for the former.

We need more aides here. We need more aides who listen and care. We need more aides like Tiffany.

This Thanksgiving I am thankful for Tiffany. She comes in on time. She does her job, She makes life here better.

No comments:

Post a Comment