Sunday, April 29, 2018

THE GIFT OF FRIENDSHIP

I want to tell you about some friends of mine. Each of them is special. Each of them has taught me a lesson that I will take with me.

My first social worker here was Nancy. I knew from the beginning that she cared about me.Nancy always made time to talk with me.  Even after I was assigned a different social worker, Nancy's door was always open to me. She listened,  She offered advice when necessary, She fought for me, She encouraged me.  Nancy believed that I would be approved for residential placement even when I didn't.  She taught me to stay focused and determined. April 27th was Nancy's last day here. There was cake. There were pictures taken. It was difficult for me to say goodbye. I only have a few weeks left here. I am still because Nancy won't be here to ask me if I am okay.  I will always remember what she taught me. Stay determined. Stay focused,. Believe in yourself.

"I eat chicken, fish, and turkey." That's one of the first things I said to Julie, the dietician when she visited me to discuss my food preferences. I don't really remember when I began hanging out in Jule's office to talk. It just sort of happened. I tell Julie my frustrations about living here,  I run ideas for blog posts by her.We talk about life in general. She is busier now, We don't get to talk in person that much anymore., I email her. .Julie taught me not to obsess over my weight.  I try, but I am afraid I am not succeeding. The monthly weigh-ins are extremely stressful for me. She taught me not to worry so much about other people's opinion of me.  She taught me that it's okay to be myself.

I got to know Lydia, the director 0f the activities department when I began attending happy hour on a regular basis. Lydia's goal is that the residents here have fun and are happy. .Every Friday, while she is mixing drinks, Lydia's is dancing, and clapping to the music, encouraging the residents to do the same. I asked Lydia if she would make me a Caipirinha, The National Cocktail of Brazil, for my birthday. When I  googled the recipe I changed my mind because the recipe said the liquor used was difficult to find. I was afraid it would be expensive. Lydia not only got the ingredients needed to make the cocktail, she also watched videos to learn how to make the drink properly. I asked her why she would go to all of that trouble for me. "Because it made you happy. I like making people happy It's what I was meant  to do." Lyda taught me the importance of doing things to make other people happy. In return, I'll make myself-happy.

"Where ya been, Little Lady?' That was how Chris greeted me every afternoon when I returned from volunteering at the library. She no longer calls me Little Lady. She is the only one allowed to call me, Jojo T.  The truth is, even though  I hate nicknames, Jojo. T.  has grown me. Just like I don't remember when I started talking to Julie, I don't remember when I began talking to Chris either.  She walked up and down the hall carrying a laptop. I asked what her job was.  The rest is history. Chris is crazy in a good way. I see her and I smile. I never know what she is going to say. Chris taught me that it's okay to be silly. Age is just a number and that I never have to grow up entirely. Being around Chris has brought out an aspect of my personality that I never knew existed. I can be funny. .Chris and Julie are the reason I  write fairytale journals. Chris and  Julie are the reason my alter-ego, Prudencia exists. And, most importantly,  Chris and Julie are the reason I love sushi.

Thank you, Nancy,, Julie, Lydia and Chris for making my life better here. I am glad I came to this facility. If I had not been a resident here,  I never would have gotten to meet you  I consider each of you my friends. I hope that you'll come visit me. No, Chris, I will not send a limo for you.

Thank you for you for giving the greatest gift. The gift of friendship.



.


















No comments:

Post a Comment