Wednesday, April 25, 2018

BIRTHDAYS...NOT JUST FOR PRESENTS ANYMORE

I celebrated my sixty-first birthday recently. Last year, on my sixtieth birthday my friends, visited with a cake and gifts. My family gave me gifts as well. Friends stopped by throughout the day with birthday wishes. It was a fun day.

This year was much more low key. .Very few people came by. There were gifts, but not as many as last year. That's the way I wanted it.

This birthday was not about a cake or gifts. This birthday was a time for reflection and giving thought to how I want to be remembered. In 2013, I wrote a blog post titled  My Legacy.  https://confessionsofadisableddiva.blogspot.com/2013/03/my-legacy_18.html  In the post I talked about being remembered for my Bianca Bear stories. I said that 50 years from now I hoped that children would still be reading and learning from Bianca Bear. Bianca Bear as well as my Diva Blog were and are a part of my legacy.

I became an advocate for people living in long-term care facilities. I hope I raised awareness concerning conditions in nursing homes. 100 years from now I hope that no one with a disability is warehoused solely because they require assistance with Activities of Daily Living. I have been given a second chance. In six weeks my new life will begin. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for giving me this opportunity. I  realize how fortunate I am.

I hope I am remembered for my kindness and generosity. I would do anything that I could to help anyone.  I am always giving things away. It makes me happy to buy something for someone. I do not like to see someone upset. I want to try and fix whatever is making them unhappy.

I hope I will be remembered as someone who tried. I have tried to live the best life I could.  I have made a lot of mistakes. The important thing is I did not give up. If I had given up,  I would not be at the place in my life that I am now, Preparing to leave this facility.

My legacy. Writing. Kindness, Tenacity.  I could not have asked for a better gift.












No comments:

Post a Comment