Monday, March 18, 2013

MY LEGACY

Everyone wants to be remembered.  Everyone wants to know that they matter.  Everyone wants to know they have contributed something to this life.  I'll be fifty-six in a few weeks.  I have been thinking about what my legacy will be.

I began writing children's stories for a friend who taught preschool.  As a result, a little pink bear named Bianca Bear was born.  She really is like my baby.  I was very protective of her stories.  So protective in fact, that when an editor told me that if I ripped the stories apart and re-wrote my entire manuscript, I'd have a better chance of getting a mainstream publishing deal.  I couldn't imagine ripping my manuscript apart and starting over.  I self-published.   Good or bad, it was the choice I made.  Bianca Bear is an example of what a true friend is.  She's loyal, helpful, and supportive of her friends.  

Fifty years from now, if someone stumbles across a copy of THE BUSY WORLD OF BIANCA BEAR, (or finds her blog on the Internet) I hope they don't think it's corny.  I think the lessons in the book of friendship, bravery, sharing, and love are timeless.  I hope they never become obsolete.

I started this blog for fun.  I wanted to see if I could write something that would be of interest to people.  this blog's purpose is to inform and educate others on the issues and challenges people with disabilities face.  I wanted to share a bit of my life with you as well.   I have gotten many positive comments. This blog is the most important thing I have ever done. I'll keep writing about the things that are important to me personally, as well as issues that affect the disabled community.  I hope you'll keep reading.

Fifty years from now, I hope all the barriers to disabled people leading full and productive lives have been broken. I hope that people who read this blog will see how far people with disabilities have come.

I used to worry that I hadn't done anything that mattered in my life.  I know now that writing is my contribution to my little corner of the world. This blog is my legacy. 


.    .










No comments:

Post a Comment