Saturday, April 14, 2018

WELCOME HOME

"Welcome to our family.  We're so happy that you want to live here.." With those words, the staff, as well as my housemates, welcomed me into what will be my new home.  The aides who will be caring for me introduced themselves to me./ They shook my hand.  I was overwhelmed.  It was at that moment that I knew everything was going to be okay.

I will be sharing a ranch-style house with two other women around my age. We each have our own room. My room is big with plenty of closet space. There is a common living room and we will share the kitchen. The bathroom is big. It has a door. No more privacy curtain for me.

I knew I was going to live in this house before I toured it.
The house is in a good location for anyone who may want to visit.  I hope I have lots of visitors. If I want to take Call-a.Ride so that I can be totally independent rather than having one of my house staff drive me to my destination it is in their area of service as well.

My housemates and I are free to do our own thing.  I can have my meals when I choose. We are not required to eat together. It will be like living alone but with the staff there to assist me.  My housemates and I have one very important thing in common. All three of us want our own space, privacy, and independence. We all want to live in a quiet, peaceful environment.

I will be opening a bank account. I am looking forward to learning how to budget my money. I will be responsible for buying whatever I need that insurance does not cover.  ,  It is a goal of mine to publish another book.   When I need assistance, someone will point me in the right direction to finding the resources I need.  Everyone affiliated with the house strives to make sure that those of us living there are happy and leading the kind of life we want to lead.

The Staff who'll be caring for me have two weeks of training.  The staff knows about CP.  I will be able to tell them how best to care for me so that I am comfortable.  I have met two of the house staff so far. They were interested in me. They treated me like a person. I choked up quite a bit the first time I visited the house. Everyone was so kind. I was told I can do anything I want.  This will be my home. When I heard those words I was speechless.

It will be two or three months before I officially move in. My case manager has to get the equipment I will need to live in the house.  A transition meeting will take place and paperwork has to be submitted. I have been assured I am really moving. There is no turning back now.

Three and a half years ago I thought my life was over.  I have been given the opportunity to start a new life. I am patient. I can wait.   Wait for the day when I can finally say, "I'm home."









.




No comments:

Post a Comment