Sunday, May 11, 2014

THE LOVE AND EMOTIONS ARE REAL


I went out for the afternoon. Lucie is old and sick. I was going to be gone for several hours, I left Lucie with my neighbor. My neighbor loves Lucie and Lucie loves her. I knew she’d be okay. 
During the afternoon, I wondered how Lucie was doing. Was she barking too much? Was she crying to come home as she’d done in the past? Was she having accidents in my neighbor's house? I tried to push these thoughts from my mind, but they kept coming back.
I couldn't wait to see Lucie. We even went to eat at a restaurant close to my house so we'd get home faster. 
When we got to my neighbor's house to pick Lucie up my neighbor said she'd bring her home later that evening. It got later and later and my neighbor still had not brought Lucie home.

Finally, my neighbor called to ask if I wanted her to keep Lucie overnight. She knows my caregivers are not required to care for Lucie. My neighbor wanted to give my caregiver a break. I was not sure about this as Lucie had never been away from home overnight, but I agreed.

We had a thunderstorm during the night. I worried about Lucie because she's afraid of storms.

My neighbor called this morning. Lucie had done none of the things I had worried about. She had been the perfect dog.

Lucie is home now. asleep on the floor next to my bed. Her presence keeping me company as I type this.

I expected her to want to jump into my lap, so happy to be home, but she barely acknowledged me. Perhaps it was because my neighbor had dog treats.

After my neighbor left, Lucie went to her spot in my room. She knew she was home.

I  realized our separation was a lot harder on me than it was on Lucie. I was the one who was a wreck. She was fine. 
A mother worries and wants their child to be able to handle being away from home. It doesn't matter if you're mothering a child or a furry friend. The love and emotions are the same.
I will never have the experience of parenting a child. I am sure it is very from looking after a pet. Lucie has given me the opportunity to experience emotions that I may not have had the opportunity to experience were it not for her.  Fo that I am grateful   

Have a safe and happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment