Friday, November 27, 2015

SPEECHLESS

When I first saw this video of Donald Trump mocking a reporter from The New York Times who has a physical disability, I was speechless. 
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/261364-trump-faces-heat-for-outrageous-mocking-of-reporter-with

I thought the passage of the Americans With Disabilities Act meant that the citizens of this country had become more accepting and tolerant of people with disabilities. I never expected to see a person seeking to become President of the United States acting like a ten-year-old. I just shook my head. I can't believe this person actually has a chance at becoming President and making decisions for our country. The thought gives me chills.

Mr. Trump was not only mocking Mr. Kovaleski. He was mocking every person who is disabled in this country. He was also telling the children of this country that it's okay to make fun of someone who is disabled because they don't deserve respect.

Mr. Trump's actions made me sick and sad. I'm sad because people with disabilities work so hard for acceptance and equality. I thought we had come a long way. I know now that we still have a long way to go before disabled people are totally accepted and treated with dignity and respect.

I would like to remind Mr. Trump that everyone has some kind of disability. Some disabilities are visible, some are not.

I applaud Mr.Kovaleski for being a positive role model and showing what people with disabilities can do when they are given a chance. 



No comments:

Post a Comment