Thursday, October 27, 2016

SHE WENT TO VISIT THE QUEEN

Photo credit  We Love Soaps 
American television viewers will remember Emma Samms from her 80's television roles  Fans first saw her in the short-lived TV series, Models Inc.

Audiences remember her as  Holly Sutton, the con artist with a heart of gold on General Hospital. Holly won Luke Spencer's heart after his beloved Laura was presumed dead. Emma Samms made fans forget Pamela Sue Martin ever existed. She took over the role of Fallon Carrington Colby on Dynasty and The Colbys and made it her own.

In 1982, Emma co-founded The Starlight Children's  Foundation with her cousin, Peter Samuelson. Starlight has chapters in the United Kingdom, the U.S. Canada, Australia, and  Puerto Rico. http://www.starlight.org/

Starlight is a non-profit organization. Its mission is to brighten the lives of seriously ill children. The organization partners with other non-profits and children's health organizations to accomplish its goal. Starlight lessens a child's fear by bringing entertainment, innovations in technology, and education to them during their treatment or hospital stay.

Recently, Emma was awarded an MBE for her work with Starlight and other children's charities. She was made a  Member of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace.  http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/actress-emma-samms-receives-mbe-from-the-queen/story-29840301-detail/story.html

I met  Emma and her sister, Louise, in the '80s, when she played Holly on General Hospital. I never thought, when I wrote a fan letter to Emma that I would receive a reply. I received a handwritten note from Louise. That note started a friendship between Louise and me.  Louise and Emma invited me to the studio for lunch when we were on vacation in California. I have some lovely memories of that day as well as the day I attended Emma's fan club luncheon and year or two later. 

Life got in the way. Louise and I lost touch for many years. I always tried to keep up with what Emma was doing. Thanks to social media, Louise and I have reconnected. I love hearing about her life and seeing her photos. Facebook has bridged the continent between us. Twitter helps me stay connected with Emma. She and I have something in common now. She is a writer too.

Congratulations Emma, on your well-deserved honor. I loved seeing the photos.  I know that you will continue helping others an continue to d bring them joy. Louise, thank you for your friendship. Keep those photos coming. I am proud to call both of you my friends. 

And, It all started with a simple fan letter.





   





No comments:

Post a Comment