Tuesday, August 2, 2016

AN HISTORIC NIGHT

I wanted to blog about the groundbreaking events of last week. Not only did a woman accept the nomination for President of the United States, but Disability Rights were front and center at the DNC. 

What could I add about the ADA and the Disability Integration Act that hadn't already been said by Anastasia Somoza, a young woman with CP, and Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa?

Plus, I am a week late. I have learned, by , writing for The Mac Wire, how fast stories become old news. You have had probably forgotten all about the speeches made last week concerning Disability Rights. I have not.

I am including them in this post. The messages in the videos are important to me and every Disabled American. Please take a moment to watch them.

Senator Tom Harkin 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCI6TxOeOM

Anastasia Somoza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TqWpj9Sqfk

Nursing homes are for those who are sick. I am not sick. I will not die here. I should not have been institutionalized because I need care. I am a person with goals. I need to be productive. I need to be a part of my community again.

 I do not know where the funds should be allocated from in order to make the necessary changes. I just know changes need to be made.  I hope that the incoming administration does not forget. about the disabled community. There are 56 million of us. We are too important to ignore.

On the twenty-sixth anniversary of the Americans With Disabilities Act, a group of disabled Americans marched in Washington. I will end this post with the words they chanted.

"Our homes, not nursing homes."






No comments:

Post a Comment