Tuesday, June 2, 2020

WORK FOR PEACE



My school was predominantly made up of black students. None of us ever thought about the color of our skin. We were just kids with disabilities. No one was better than the other.

In high school, when the white girls in my class called me names the black girls in my class accepted me. I was a nerd and a geek. not boy crazy, but starstruck. I devoured every movie magazine I could get my hands on. They didn't care about my geekiness. We were friends. The fact that I was white and they were black did not matter.

Kids don't care. They just want someone cool to be friends with. Why is it so difficult for adults? Just stop. 

Our country is being destroyed/ Both figuratively and literally. I get the protests, but not the violence and destruction.  How long will it take people to rebuild what they have lost? Is this the image of America we want the rest of the world to see? If a positive change does not happen soon I fear the principles this country was founded on will no longer exist.

I was pleased to see photos of Joe Biden speaking with some of the protesters. I was also pleased to see police marching alongside protesters in solidarity. 

George Floyd's murder was a heinous act.  Carried out by people who are supposed to protect us.

I see the images online. I read the stories. I want to do something. Writing is all I can do.

Please stop. Please unite. Please work for peace.

 









No comments:

Post a Comment