Tuesday, August 2, 2022

DISABILITY PRIDE MONTH

Image Found on Tumblr

 July was Disability Pride month. I had the entire month to write a post about it. I will be honest with you  I was not going to write about it. Until July 31st, a friend told me I'd better get to it.  There were only a few hours of Disability Pride Month left. I was binge-watching  Inventing Anna on Netflix. I took a page from Scarlet O'Hara's book. I told myself that I'd think about it tomorrow.

Yeah, I know, It's August. Better late than never, alright?

Disability Pride month is a month to celebrate and remember the pioneers of the Disability Rights Movement like those featured in the Netflix documentary Crip Camp.  They fought for inclusion, accessibility, and to be seen and heard.  I admire them. I  respect them. I thank them. Celebrate Disability Pride?   I was just not feelin' it.

I am not proud of my CP nor am I ashamed of it.  My CP just is. I don't want or need to draw attention to the fact that I am different, that I need care 24/7 and can't do the most basic things without assistance. Why draw attention to the obvious? Celebrate that?  No thanks.  

There is at least one person who supports my viewpoint.  Check out this article by  Ed Tobias who is a writer for Multiple Sclerosis Today. https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/columns/2020/07/07/disability-pride-month-july- criticism/ 

It's kind of an oxymoron.  People with disabilities spend eleven months out of the year saying they're just like everyone else.  The same. But when July comes around the message changes to,"

  I would rather draw attention to my writing ability than my disability but that's just me. 

The ADA was not passed until 1990.  I began my part-time job in 1989. I fought for my college and grad school education. I had people who believed in me enough to turn an idea into a part-time job. The ADA did not exist, and yet I got a job. That is what I would celebrate. 

Enough of my ranting. In July of 2023 knock yourselves out. Have parades, march, whatever. Celebrate being disabled.  

I will be celebrating my accomplishments, not because of, but rather in spite of.

I love this video. I aspire to be like Jerry.



No comments:

Post a Comment