Saturday, July 15, 2023

A PATIO, A MARGARITA, AND GOOD CONVERSATION

They are looking for a new place for me to live. There are lots of changes going into effect here. This is to become an all-male house. A man is moving in by August 1st even though my female housemate and I are still living here.  I  am scared because all the current staff appear to be leaving this house when the new housemate moves in. I hope this is not true.

My case manager told me there are no wheelchair-accessible houses available. I am on the list, but I may have to consider a nursing home. That's not what I want. I like getting my own vegan groceries. I like having my own room and toilet. 

I can no longer go to the grocery store with staff to purchase my weekly cocktail. My friends can bring them or I can go out to have one. Cocktails were never a part of the staff's duties. They were just being nice. The agency broke the rule for me. I will always appreciate that. Several months ago DMH said that I could no longer have alone time to go on unaccompanied walks around the neighborhood. Needless to say, I  have been bummed out. 

\ am 66 years old. People my age are enjoying their summer at the lake or by the ocean. People my age are enjoying their retirement.  I am scared. I am tired. I am healthy. We all know life can change in an instant]  At my age I should be able to live my life the way I choose to. It should not matter that I am disabled.

It does not take much to make me happy.  All I want is a pato when I can have a Margarita. I want to have a good conversation too.

I have had great times with my friends on the patio here. We shared Margaritas. We laughed until we could not breathe. I am grateful. I hope I will continue having fun times like these.

 

Birthday on the Patio 2019

 

Celebrating on the Patio in 2022


Celebrating on the Patio in 2023








No comments:

Post a Comment