Wednesday, October 3, 2018

A SECOND- CLASS CITIZEN

Going on Medicaid was very difficult for me. I don't mean filling out the paperwork involved, (My brother took care of that for me.) |I mean getting used to the idea that I did not have the funds to pay to live at NHC anymore. The government would be responsible for paying my monthly bill, I could not earn anything while I lived at NHC. Any money I earned would have gone to NHC. I stopped writing my column for TheWest End Word.  I wrote a blog post about how having to go on Medicaid made me feel.  http://confessionsofadisableddiva.blogspot.com/2017/03/a-humbling-experience.html 

There were so many things I wanted to accomplish. The major one was publishing another book. I thought moving out of the facility would give me the opportunity to do this. I thought if I resumed writing my column or got a part-time job, I would not have to go on Food Stamps. However, that is not the case.

I have a monthly Spend-down, I have to pay my Medicare premium and my rent and utilities. Even with my food allowance, I will have to apply for Food Stamps in order to meet my monthly expenses. If I get a part-time job my benefits will be cut even more.  

I never understood why people with disabilities who were on Medicaid did, not try to get a job. Now I do. It's not because they are lazy. It is not because they don't take pride in themselves. It is because our government makes it almost impossible for those of us with disabilities to work and still receive the government assistance we need. I know people with disabilities on Medicaid, who work a certain number of hours a week. Perhaps it is because of my having a Spend-down or because I live in a group home. I do not know why I am being penalized. 

I regret moving from NHC. When I was a resident I did not have to be concerned with meeting my Spen-down, a food allowance or having to register for Food Stamps. My family tried to tell me. I did not listen. I wish I had.

Our government has taken my motivation and pride from me. When I have to apply for Food Stamps our government will have taken away my dignity as well. I  feel like a second-class citizen. Volunteering is fine, but like all of you, I would like to get paid for the work that I do. 

Living in a group home allows me to assimilate back into the community. If that's true then I should  be allowed to earn money like everyone else in my community








No comments:

Post a Comment