Friday, April 10, 2020

ENTRY 2


WELCOME HOME

I came home around the time of my original due date. I am sure my mom dressed me in a pink girly outfit. I am positive of this because I remember all the smocked Polly Flinders dresses and black patent leather shoes. and little white socks with lace trim My name was monogrammed on my socks by my aunt.

 I came home to three older brothers. My maternal grandparents lived next door.  I was surrounded by love.

The first summer after I came home my family did not get much sleep. I was hot at night. I cried. By the next summer, we had central air conditioning in our house. Much to the relief of my family.

I imagine there were subtle signs of my CP early on. Maybe it was difficult to dress me or change my diaper. My spasticity makes my limbs tight,. My mom pushed any questions she may have had out of her mind.

But when I was eighteen months old, and not able to sit up on my own, not making an attempt to crawl or walk my family knew something was wrong. They took me to a doctor

I was a happy baby. Smiling and laughing. My mom told me that when the doctor examined me I did not react in any way. Not even when he ran his fingers down my side trying to tickle me. I have my own theories about why I did not respond.

A. The exam table was cold.
B. I sensed he was about to deliver news that would upset my parents,

"See how her mouth droops?  She's paralyzed on her left side. (I'm not)  She has cerebral palsy. There were other things discussed. The fact is that I would most likely be mentally challenged and not expect me to achieve very much. Did I mention that I knew the doctor was mean? He obviously failed bedside manner in med school.

My parents left the doctor's office devastated and confused, as to why I had not responded to the doctor in any way, but they were more confused about what the diagnosis of CP meant for me.

We were about to embark on a journey A rabbit hole of PT/OT and doctor's appointments. Leg braces, night braces, standing tables, parallel bars, walkers, and more.




.


































1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Joanne! I am really enjoying your memoir work.

    ReplyDelete