Tuesday, April 14, 2020

ENTRY 3

MY HEART SKIPS A BEAT

Do you have a memory that you know you couldn't possibly remember because you were too little, but you swear that you do?  Or do you remember it simply because you've heard it so many times it's become an urban legend in your family? Here is mine
 
I was sitting in my highchair in the kitchen with my family. The pressure cooker was on the stove. The stopper .popped off. The pressure cooker exploded with a loud hissing sound. I am sure that I was startled, and looked around confused as my family ran out of the kitchen and out of the house leaving me in the kitchen thinking to myself, "Hey, what about me?" Don't worry my family came right back in when they realized they'd. forgotten me.

The Moro Reflex, also known as The Infant Startle Response disappears in babies by six months of age. If it does not it's an indication that a child has some kind of developmental delay. Characteristics of the response in infants are Jumping at loud noises and flailing their arms. It's an infant's fight/flight response. The baby's adrenaline kicks in.

In adults the response is characterized by jumping at sudden loud noises, people moving suddenly, flashes of light, tapping someone on the shoulder, or just looking at someone.

I have all these characteristics I hated flash photography. I would wait for that blinding flash of light. close my eyes and contort my face This made for some memorable photos I can assure you. I do much better now. With cell phones, the flash can be turned off and the photo still turns out great. I am vain. I actually like having my photo taken Who knew?

When I startle my heart jumps. The older I have gotten the more I have noticed this. It is an uncomfortable feeling.  A doctor put me on Valium when I was in high school. That made me so tired I could not function. I refused to take it after several days.

On the Fourth of July, my fight/flight response kicks in. I understand fireworks, but all I want to do is run away from the noise.  I can't believe I  admitted that to all of you.

I learned there was a legitimate name for my jumpiness in college when I took a child psych class. Yay. It had a name. It was a part of my CP. I was not just weird

If you see me startle just ignore it. Don't apologize You have not done anything. Please don't laugh or try to make me startle on purpose because you think it's funny. It's not. It just is  My startle response is one piece of the unique puzzle that is me.















No comments:

Post a Comment