Wednesday, August 11, 2021

ROLL THE VIDEOTAPE


 
If you are a regular reader of this blog you know that in 2015 I was a part of the spoken word Mother's Day program Listen to Your Mother. My essay about my mom was chosen. I would have to read it out loud in front of an audience in an auditorium. Gasp!

Me. The person who shook so badly when she spoke in front of the congregation of her church about why installing an elevator in the church was so important to the church's accessibility. She could hardly get her words out.

Me.The same person who submitted an essay to LTYM. Why?  Because she just wanted the experience of submitting. There was no way she'd be chosen. She knew that for certain.

I told my mom's story via videotape. Making the video was a little challenging for me. I had to try to speak as clearly as I could and not speak too fast, and take deep breaths. I did not want to sound like I was gasping for breath at the end of a sentence. It was a challenge, but I would not change anything. I appreciated that the producers of  LTYM  St. Louis allowed me to record my speech. LTYM was a dream come true for me. Six years later I am still writing about the experience. It was one of the best days of my life.

I have another goal, dream, crazy idea.  I want to apply to be a TEDx Talk. speaker. 

I have watched many TEDx talks on YouTube. I have reviewed the submission process. That's not what's stopping me from proceeding.

My voice is.

 In the six years since LTYM, my speaking voice has gotten worse. I speak softly. I do not know how I would sound on the video. Would people watching it be able to understand me? Would I be allowed to have my talk videotaped?

If  I have all of these questions and issues, realistically I should abandon the idea. I know that's what you are thinking. I am wondering the same thing. The idea keeps popping up in my head. I can't seem to abandon it. 

My topic: How the use of labels has affected my life as a disabled person. More specifically, as a female with CP. The title of my talk is Labels: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I achieved the majority of my accomplishments in the Dark Ages., Translation. before the ADA was passed. Before the ADA life with a disability was an entirely different ballgame. Non-disabled people said anything they wanted to me.  Most of their comments were negative. People told me what I couldn't do, Instead of encouraging me to try.
 
\I will write my talk. Then decide if it's worthy of submitting. The video?  My mind has not gotten that far yet. If I see this through to the end making the video will be the most challenging part of the process.

Stay tuned...


















    

No comments:

Post a Comment