Tuesday, October 26, 2021

JUST ONE MORE DAY


 With my mom, In our house, on a  typical Saturday. We'd go shopping. Then out to eat. For dessert? Ted Drews. What else? I'd say all of the things I have wanted to say for almost twelve years. The main thing I would tell her is how much I  love her.

With Lucie's warm little body snuggled against my hip letting me know everything is  okay as I fall asleep

With my family at Christmas. I miss our traditions, I know life goes on, but I guess I am stuck. The holidays are lonely here. The Pasta House Salad, ravioli, Bailey's with Fireball, Excitement as the presents are unwrapped, Laughter. I miss it all.

With the Buder Library staff. Quanda, The Amy's, and Ladonna. One more Friday sitting behind the desk at the information desk waiting for Leo and his wife to come in. Thank you, Jim, for giving me the chance. His wife had CP you see. He understood.

With the staff and residents of the nursing home before all my staff friends moved on in their life's journey. I would give anything for one more dinner of Chinese take-out, sometimes with wine, with my resident friends. We were a family, but I was too stupid to realize it then.'

Just one more day. Just one more. Please!

Time moves forward, not backward.

It does not matter how much I plead.

I have to deal with what is. 

My memories, however, are the key.

I feel safe. I feel happy. I feel loved.

For one more day.







'


No comments:

Post a Comment