Wednesday, January 12, 2022

I'D GIVE BACK


A writing prompt posed the following question: "Write about what you’d do if money suddenly wasn’t a problem."

Well, that's a loaded statement if I ever read one. So many things. (Read my previous post to learn some of my wildest dreams.)

After listing all of my superfluous ideas my thoughts become serious. If money really wasn't a problem what would I do?  I would use it to make a difference in the lives of others. I would give back to the long-term care community  

I would make it possible for all nursing home residents to have private rooms/bathrooms.

I'd make sure that residents had the best food. And a weekly Happy Hour with cocktails and mocktails Good snacks. And the entertainment would appeal to the young and old alike  (Trust me, it would not be your grandma's Happy Hour. If I was funding it, it would rock every week.)  

Long-term care communities should have some aspects of normalcy Before moving into a nursing home some residents might have enjoyed having a cocktail after a long day, or a social drink with friends I am in no way, shape, or form advocating allowing the residents to drink to access Living in long-term care can be stressful. A Happy Hour once a week allows residents to relax, socialize with one another

I know what it is like to feel alone and miss your family. All residents of nursing homes should have the best care. All residents deserve the best accommodations, Medicaid or not.

I would establish a non-profit. Think Make-A-wish for residents living in long-term care communities. The staff would submit the wishes of their residents.  There would be no restrictions on the wishes The wishes could be anything from dining at their favorite restaurant to that dream vacation they were never able to take. My organization would come up with a way to make it happen. If the wish recipient was too ill to travel, their wish would be brought to them. We might transform a resident's room into a Parisian cafe. French pastries, art, and music.

My organization. would be staffed with loving, caring people. Paid and volunteer staff would be committed to making the lives of those that they serve better, happier. In order for my non-profit to be a success, the staff would have to be willing to go that extra mile to make the wish of someone a reality.

Adults in nursing homes still have dreams, hopes, and wishes. They don't admit to them because in their mind what they wish for is impossible.

A non-profit organization like the one I have described would be fantastic Think of the joy something like this could give a resident.

I have everything I need. Life should be about making a difference in the lives of others

The long-term care community holds a special place in my heart. I learned that the hard way. If money was not a factor I'd give back.




 













 

No comments:

Post a Comment