Wednesday, March 6, 2024

SPIRITS HAVING FLOWN

Artist Mitchell Toy


When Stephen Hawking died in 2018 the disabled community was in an uproar over this drawing of him entering Heaven. Another realm in the universe. Whatever your belief is. His body ceased to function. His spirit moved on.

The disabled community deemed this drawing ablest. I am not sure how anyone could negatively perceive this drawing I think this drawing is beautiful. 

I was embarrassed in 2018 to be part of a community that would condemn it and the artist who drew it.

When I die I won't have  CP anymore. I will not need caregivers/ I will not need my powerchair. I will not need my Sara Lift. I will not need to sleep in a hospital bed. I won't even need glasses.  I will be able to leave all of the people and things that assisted me in my Earthly life behind. That is what this drawing represents. Freedom. 

Ablest? I don't know. Ten people could look at this drawing and give ten different interpretations of it. If someone chooses to see this drawing negatively then I guess it is ablest. For me personally, this drawing represents positivity and hope. 

Allison V Thompkins, Ph.D. https://www.allisonvthompkins.com/blog/ writes about disability and spirituality. In addition, she holds a Ph.D. in Economics and has authored her first book on disability and spirituality. She has cerebral palsy and loves the color purple. 

She believes that we are spirits.  So much more than our disabled body. So much more than our outward appearance. I like this idea. It gives me hope as well.  If only people could get past our disabilities and the equipment that assists us. If only people would take the time to see our spirits while we are here on Earth. Well, that would be too awesome for words.

My mom and I used to have discussions about this. She would say, "I know my body is going to die. My body is just a shell. What happens to me?"  She would then point to her chest for added emphasis. Now she knows. I hope she is doing all the things she never got to do in life. The biggie? Travel to Germany.

I consider myself a spiritual person. I  want to learn more about spirituality and how it relates to disability. I want to improve my relationship with God.  

Dr. Thompkins lives her life with Faith. My Faith is a little shaky.  Not my belief in God. I know He is with me. It's my faith in people that's shaky.

I pray for unity 

I pray for positivity.

I pray for acceptance 

I hope that people will begin to see our spirits. Not just our disabilities. 

Cuz there is a whole lot more to me than spastic limbs and a powerchair.










No comments:

Post a Comment