Saturday, March 9, 2024

WE ARE MORE THAN OUR BOOBS AND BUTTS

Yesterday, on International Women's Day, I was invited to Hooters Restaurant to celebrate my housemate's birthday.  I had so many feelings and emotions about being invited. I am the only female in this house. I like my housemates and their staff. We all get along very well. A lot better than I had ever thought we would.

I am embarrassed to admit that the first thing out of my mouth was not a thank you for inviting me as it should have been. The first thing out of my mouth was, "That restaurant degrades and objectifies women." It's not my finest movement. I regret saying it. I thought I could go. But in the end, after seeing. Hooter's Facebook page with a young woman who had the honor of being "Miss March" I just could not see myself going. Even the name is offensive to me.

Being a waitress is hard work. Maybe they are there to pay for college or graduate school. If I had a daughter I would want more for her than the honor of being Miss March. I would not be happy with her waitressing in short shorts and shirts where her boobs are partially exposed even if it was just a temporary situation. What happened to dignity and self-respect?  

Women have worked too hard to show that we are more than just boobs and butts. We have brains. We have ideas. We have opinions. We can do tough jobs,

Women work twice as hard to overcome stereotypes. Women with disabilities have to prove themselves worthy and equal over and over again. A restaurant like Hooters objectifies women. What messages does it send to young men?

I keep wondering what Ruth Bader Ginsburg would say. What advice would she give me?

I decided not to go because my housemate deserves to spend his birthday however he chooses. I do not want to be a Debbie Downer. I do not want to ruin his celebration. This is his party. This is his day. I truly hope he has a great time

I will step down from my soapbox now.

No comments:

Post a Comment