Thursday, May 2, 2024

A CHER FAN WITH A HEART OF GOLD

Photo Credit: Diane May
I told my email buddy, Janet, that when she beat  Cancer I would interview her. I would title the interview The Ultimate Cher Fan. Sadly, what was supposed to be an interview has turned into a tribute. Janet lost her battle on the afternoon of April 30th. Just days after her sixtieth birthday on April 24th. She shared her birthday with Barbra Streisand  Fitting. Both are legends.

Janet has been a Cher fan Since the age of five. Starting like most of us by watching the Sonny and Cher show. Janet lived in NYC. Whenever Cher visited the Big Apple  Janet was there. She met  Cher numerous times. As well as many of those closest to Cher.

Janet was there for Cher and Chaz's book signings.  I never told her this but I am almost positive I saw her walking down the steps to her seat at the venue in STL. ( Circa The Farewell Tour) I saw a woman with dark curly hair wearing a denim jacket with Cher's face stitched on the back. It was gorgeous! 

Yes, Janet was the ultimate Cher fan. She was friends with fans from all over the world. She loved showing fellow fans around NYC when they came to town.  She took them to Serendipity3 for frozen hot chocolate, Cher's favorite place, and favorite drink since she was nineteen. Janet showed them the brownstone where Moonstruck was filmed. I heard she met Olympia Dukakis while there.

Janet was my friend. Proof you can be friends with someone even if you've never met them. She always remembered my birthday. She wished me a  Happy Birthday this year with a Cher birthday greeting. She was in pain. She was dying. She remembered. She read my blog without fail. Even the last post before this one. Commenting with a red heart.๐Ÿ’“ 

I will miss reading "Hugs from the Big Apple" at the end of her messages. I will miss her unwavering support of this blog.

My condolences to her family, friends, and my fellow Cher Crew

Janet was the ultimate fan. She was the ultimate friend. Janet did not have a Heart of Stone. Janet had a heart of gold.

Fly high, my friend. I changed the title of this post. I hope that's okay.




 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute and perfectly written! ๐Ÿ’•

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful tribute, Joanne. My condolences on the passing of your friend. Maria

    ReplyDelete