Thursday, May 23, 2024

WHAT'S IT LIKE?


 "What's it like to walk?" I asked my mom this question out of the blue one day.

I have walked using crutches while someone held onto me. I walked using walkers  I waked in leg braces back and forth between parallel bars. That's not waking. I wanted to know what it felt like to make a conscious decision to get up. Have your brain send a message to your legs to move you from the family room to the kitchen.

My mom looked at me.  I knew she was thinking, "Where did this question come from? How do I answer it?

She thought for a moment."I don't know. I decide I want to do something in another room and I get up and begin walking. I don't think about it. It just happens." She ended with, "I guess I take it for granted."

Her answer has always made me wonder if the abe-bodied community ever stops to think how lucky they are as they go about their day or if they take what they can do without assistance for granted?

I imagine. 

I'm ready to get out of bed in the morning. I swing my legs over the side of my bed and stand up. I brush my teeth.  I wash my face. I get my clothes out of my closet I get dressed. I fix myself a light breakfast. I need to run errands. I am meeting a friend for lunch. I grab my keys, walk out to my car and I am on my way. Effortless. Independant. I feed myself without leaving a mess behind. I  use the toilet in complete privacy.  That evening, after fixing mysef dinner, I watch TV while planning my to-do list for the following day. I take a shower. I crawl into my bed. 

That's what a typical day would be like for me if  I did not have CP. Non-disabled people take so much for granted. What's it like?  Does any other person with a disability ever wonder about this?  Am I the only one?

Having CP taught me patience and compassion. CP taught me that we're more alike than we are different. CP taught me that I have value and was meant to be here. I am not here to inspire you. I am trying to make it through life one day at a time

There is one thing that I would change. I wish I'd had the privilege of being mainstreamed in grade school and high school. I'm sure mainstreaming would have been extremely beneficial for me both academically and socially.  Being mainstreamed.  What's it like?

I will never be a rah, rah look at me I overcame my disability.  Look, at what I've accomplished. I did not overcome anything. My CP gave me the drive and determination to do what I had to do to succeed.  Props to my mom too.

I have CP. I take nothing for granted. I will never stop wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment