Thursday, January 16, 2020

YOU'RE ALWAY IN MY HEART


I wanted to commemorate the day. I did not know what more I could say. 

In 2016 I wrote about you. A post for Father's Day. I wrote about all the things you did both big and small. 

https://confessionsofadisableddiva.blogspot.com/2016/06/my-dad.html

We never got to have an adult conversation. I never got to tell you my hopes and dreams for my future. I hope you'd be proud of the woman I have become.

I don't know if I told you how much I loved you the last time we talked. I was twelve years old. I was probably boring you with some stupid story about my day at school I know you listened  Asked the right questions, and laughed in the right places. You never let me know how sick you really were. Then your calls stopped.

I knew you were sick. I also knew you'd get better cuz parents didn't die. They lived forever. Of that I was sure. On January 18, 1970, I found out I was wrong.

You've been gone for fifty years. I miss you more than ever. I understand why you were so tired. it was because running a grocery store was a big, stressful job. It was a family business, but you worked the hardest of all. For me having the store was cool. None of my friends could ask their dad to bring home candy or bubble gum. The store was definitely a plus for me.

You worked hard. When you were diagnosed with Cancer you fought just as hard.

I hear people talk about how much their parents get on their nerves. I'd give anything for one more day with you watching TV or listening to the records you loved. You'd fall asleep watching TV. That's okay. I get it now. I do the same thing.

Fifty years. Half a century. It doesn't seem possible. I love you, Dad. I miss you. You're always in my heart.












5 comments:

  1. And you're forever in his heart, too. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful commemoration, Joanne. Thinking of you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Nikki Burst, but for some reason it won't let me post using my account.

      Delete
    2. Technology is so frustrating. Thanks for all of your comments.

      Delete