Tuesday, January 28, 2020

IF

If there was a two-story house that was totally accessible with spacious rooms, wide doorways, and a small elevator to access the rooms on the second floor. (That's right, an elevator. I told my mom that I wanted to live in a house that had an elevator in it .)  The house has a bathroom that is huge with a roll-in shower. The shower has a door that can be closed for privacy.
That's where I'd live.

If there was a house where ramps had replaced steps. The attached garage housed a state-of-the-art wheelchair-accessible van that was always serviced and maintained.
That's where I'd live.

If there was a house with an enclosed patio where the residents could sit and watch the birds feed on bird feeders randomly hung on the patio.
That's where I'd live.

If there was a house where the residents were not matched up based on the severity of their CP, but based on their shared interests.
That's where I'd live.

If there was a house where the residents had total control over the hiring of staff. No one would be hired until they had been given extensive training. The residents would make sure that their staff had a clear understanding of all aspects of cerebral palsy before being considered as a candidate to work in the house.
That's where I'd live.

If there was a house where the staff really cared about the residents. 
They put their cell phones down in favor of interacting with the women they cared for.
They cared about making a difference in the residents' lives. 
That's where I'd live. 

If there was a house where a resident's privacy was respected.
That's where I'd live.

If there was a house that had the positive aspects of both a nursing home and a group home.
That's where I'd live.

The house I have described is my fantasy.

Imagine if my fantasy becomes reality.




.








No comments:

Post a Comment