Friday, February 7, 2020

MEET THE MONKEES ULTIMATE FAN

Kelly Suellentrop is a freelance writer and blogger, Her posts have been featured on Huffpost.com and Today.com. She is the author of a children's book.  She was a cast member of the 2015 stage production of Listen to Your Mother. Kelly is also a married mom of two
.
All of these things would be enough to make Kelly a unique and special person, but there is something else that makes her unique and special. Kelly has been a devoted fan of  The Monkees for over thirty years.

This is a fun interview Want to know what each member of the band was like in person?  Keep reading to find out.

How long have you been a fan of The Monkees?  
Since I was nine years old. I guess that makes it thirty-three years now. The only other thing I’ve been consistent about for that long is breathing. 

 You’ve said you like all of the members of the group, but that Micky Dolenz has always been your favorite.  Tell us why?
Well, for starters, I think he’s adorable. There’s something incredibly sincere and kind about his smile, and I tend to gravitate toward sincere and kind people. I’m also a sucker for a sense of humor. And can we talk about his voice? Let’s talk about it. It sounds like the way melted chocolate feels in your mouth. Hearing him sing flips a mood booster switch in me every time I hear it. Aside from all that, I have an admiration for him as a person. He’s not perfect, but I respect his professionalism and his willingness to be accessible to his fans. He has a humility and lightheartedness about himself and about life that has served him well.

But I do have a confession to make. He hasn’t ALWAYS been my favorite. When I first became a Monkees fan, I pledged allegiance to Davy. He was the “cute one” after all. However, despite maintaining Davy was my favorite, I was always drawn to Micky. When I played Barbies, I used to act out a love triangle between her, Davy, and Micky. I once wrote a whole blog post about how my Barbie was a floozy for her two-timing ways. Eventually, I came to the realization that I only liked Davy because I thought I was “supposed to.” I replaced all my DJ teen mag pinups on my bulletin board with ones of Micky, and I’ve never gone back. (Although now, my husband won’t let me put them up in our bedroom, so they are all in a box. He’s kind of unreasonable.)


What’s your favorite episode of their television show? Their show is still on in reruns. Why do think their show is still loved by people today?
Favorite episode? I don’t know that I can really choose. I have favorite little moments from so many different episodes. I guess I could say “Alias Micky Dolenz” for the lone reason that Micky plays both his character AND a doppelganger gangster, so I get two Mickys for the price of one episode. It ain’t a bad deal. 

I think the show still holds up for the simple fact that it’s good, timeless comedy. Add the bonus of all this feel-good music during the romp scenes, and who wouldn’t want to watch? Terrorists, that's who. And people who don’t like to smile. 

How many of their concerts have you attended? 
Counting solo appearances, I think I’m up to 15. Holy cow, I just realized that’s a lot once I typed it out. Please don’t ask how much money I’ve spent on all this. 

What are some of your best and or craziest concert memories?
My first concert was special because I had been a fan for over ten years before I ever had the chance to see them live. But nothing quite matched when I saw them in Chicago in 2012 when Mike Nesmith rejoined after Davy passed away. There was this combination of electricity having Nez back in the fold and reverent sentimentality as they also honored Davy. I never had the chance to see all four of them live together, but I think that concert was probably the closest it could have gotten for me. 

As far as crazy goes, I have had some crazy good times with several friends who came into my life over our shared loved of this band…and we have had some interactions with other fans who were flat-out crazy. I have also found myself in some interesting post-concert locations, including a hotel piano bar with Micky and on Mike’s tour bus. I just realized those both sound way more salacious than they actually were. They were merely results of having the good fortune to be acquainted with some people who know people. I’d like to go on record saying I am NOT a groupie. I’m not above being one though.

You’ve met all of the Monkees. Tell us a little something about meeting each of them.
The first time I met Davy, the two girls in front of me asked to lick his elbows, and he let them. So of course, the second time I met Davy, I told him the elbow-licking story, to which he replied, “Ugh! Why would anyone want to do that? I hate my elbows! Look at them! They’re the worst!” That was pretty much the best thing he could have ever said because I didn’t know anyone existed that had such strong feelings about their elbows. Also, Davy and I were exactly the same height, so I felt extra connected to him.

Mike was everything I hoped Mike would be. Dry, charmingly aloof, intelligently bizarre, all wrapped up in a package that looks alarming like my own father. The whole “looks like my dad” thing makes me very sentimental about Mike, and it gave me the unabashed courage to walk right up and hug him that time I was on his tour bus. He hugged back, so that made an uncharacteristically brazen moment on my part totally worth it. He was also eating a Chipotle burrito during our conversation, which, for some reason, I found amazing. 

Peter…oh, Peter. The mere thought of him makes me melt a little because he was about as kindhearted as he could be. He sincerely appreciated it when people sincerely appreciated him. He was a toucher…in a good way. A little grab of the hand or shoulder, with the most genuine of intentions, let you know he cared about the interaction he was having with you. And he was so smart and funny…and awkward, but in a lovable way. I am sad the world is without him now. 

And Micky. I just…guys. He’s so tall. And he smells good. And he smiles that smile, and well, it’s over. I feel like I have had these great interactions with the other three because I had some of my wits about me with them. But I have encountered Micky, I kid you not, six times (not, I repeat, not a stalker…just incredibly lucky). And every time, I slink into myself because it’s pretty overwhelming to be in his presence. However, he has always been approachable and kind and I don’t know that I could ask for more. Plus, he hugged me once. And it was a big, both arms, wrap-you-up kind of hug that I can still feel if I think about it hard enough. 

Mike Nesmith even mentioned you indirectly during a radio interview. That must have been quite a thrill.
Understatement of the year. He had posted a photo of himself at a convention with a guy dressed up as Iron Man. I commented that I had shown the photo to my young son and said, “Look it’s your favorite guy and my favorite guy!” My son said, “Mom, I don’t think that’s the REAL Iron Man.” And I replied, “That’s okay, bud. It isn’t the real Mike Nesmith either.” Well, apparently Nez got a big kick out of that because he always talks about how people think he is actually his Mike the Monkee persona since they used their real names on the show. So he was discussing this phenomenon on a podcast and then mentioned my Facebook comment as hitting the nail on the head. I was more than tickled. I mean, not only is it cool to have a celebrity give you a shout out but as a writer myself, I have such tremendous respect for Nez’s brilliant ability for creative expression. To know a genius thought well of something I said is an honor.

What’s your all-time favorite song by The Monkees?
The Porpoise Song. It’s not one a lot of people know, but everything about it is beautiful. Whenever I hear it, I literally stop what I’m doing to breathe it in. If you think Monkees music is just bubblegum pop, this song will make you think twice.

Tell us about a favorite piece of memorabilia that you own.
Probably my concert shirt that was signed by Micky, Peter, and Davy…mostly because Micky signed it on my boob. *winky face* But honestly, while I do have a lot of Monkee memorabilia, what I cherish most are the experiences I’ve had following this band and the friendships that have been born because of it. If I lost every Monkee thing I own, I would still be happy with what remained in my mind.

What does your family think about your devotion to The Monkees?
After over thirty years, they all just accept it as a part of me. My dad used to poke fun at me because he’s a big Beatles fan and apparently you can’t be a fan of both. But he was actually the first person to call me when the news broke that Davy had died. It was sweet. My mom has always fed into my fandom because she was a fan when she was little. In fact, my first Monkees record was actually hers. I stole it from my grandparents’ house. As a kid, I got made fun of a lot for it, because no one my age was a fan of guys who were older than our parents. But I found friends who loved me for my quirkiness, and now it’s just one of those things that makes me memorable to other people. And thankfully, my husband has come to terms with me sometimes still turning into a fangirl over men who aren’t him…and that his wife’s hall pass is a 74-year-old drummer.















No comments:

Post a Comment